Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Put Your Oxygen Mask on First

This week's entry comes directly from the keyboard of Mr. Sorce.

***********************************************************

When you fly in an airplane, the safety instructions are given, “In case of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the compartment above you. Be sure to put on your own oxygen mask first, before assisting others." Without your mask on, you run the risk of losing consciousness and you can't help anyone if you're asleep. Sometimes, the best way to help others is by taking good care of yourself.

Two weeks ago, I had the privilege of attending a seminar with Dr. Maung Gyi. Dr Gyi is a grandmaster in Bando, a Burmese Martial Art System, but he now primarily teaches “healing arts." Specifically, he teaches Yoga and Meditation. He said something that really hit home with me, “My Health is the best gift I can give my family." Dr. Gyi is in his early 80’s, but you would never think so. He lives in a retirement community and in the assisted living area he helps take care of people who cannot bathe themselves, feed themselves, or use the rest room on their own.

“My Health is the best gift I can give my family”


When someone gets to the point where they can no longer take care of themselves, the family either has to take care of him or he has to be put into an assisted living facility. This is upsetting for the family. It causes anxiety, stress, guilt and emotional pain.

Dr. Gyi was talking to me and he told me that I need to stay healthy so that I can continue teach, and be here for my students and my family. To me this means eating healthy, keeping my body healthy, and managing my thoughts and emotions.

This makes me think of others. Today’s world is more demanding and stressful than ever. So many of us are not taking very good care of ourselves. Our excuse is all of the responsibilities we have; family, job, housework. So many people say to me, "I don’t have the time." We all have to meet the demands of work, parenting, chauffeur kids from one activity to the next, being a good spouse, maybe having to care for a loved one, dealing with losses…

How can you be a mother, boss, spouse, teacher if you don’t take the time to keep yourself healthy? Physically, mentally and emotionally.


I even have people say to me, "I want to do martial arts, but I can’t justify spending the money on myself." They will do anything for their children and their spouses, but they are neglecting themselves and their own health. How can you be a mother, boss, spouse, teacher if you don’t take the time to keep yourself healthy? Physically, mentally and emotionally.

We need to make taking care of ourselves a priority. If you don’t have your health what do you have? People around you care about you and will help you. If you are overworked, overstressed and emotionally drained, you need to do something about it. Ask for help, talk about it with your family and friends. After all, the best way to make sure you can continue to help the people you care about is to, "...put on your own oxygen mask first."

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree with this blog enough! My mom passed away at the young age of 41, because she did not take care of herself. She took care of my sister, my dad, sick grandparents, and myself, but forgot to be good to herself. Ever since then I vowed not only to take time out for myself, but to tell others to excercise, eat right, and pray hard.

    As a single mother, a teacher in three districts, church teacher/leader, power walker, friend, sister, and a home owner there are so many things to do, but I asked myself, 'who will be there to do them if I do not take care of myself?'

    My son has been training for about three years at Sorce, and a year and half of that time I wanted to train so bad, but... I had a million and one excuses, finally I put the fear aside and just went for it!!! I can't tell you how life changing it has been for me! I did not think I could find time to train one day a week, but I thought 'hey, I will sign up and fit it in somehow.' And I sure did! Now I try to train at least two times a week, but most weeks I manange three days!:} It sure has helped me get through some difficult times this past year and I can't say enough about Martial Arts and the teachers and senior students here at Sorce!!! I love the mind, body, spirit connection!

    Thank you all for helping me become a better mom, teacher, friend, sister, and martial arts student!:)
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome topic. I've found that fitting in a workout (gym, TKD, Inayan Eskrima) is the best way to handle stress. More importantly, Dr. Gyi is 100% correct. If I do not take care of myself, then eventually that burden will fall on to my wife and son.

    I don't want to be the guy that has a triple bypass when I'm 35... that's one of the many reasons why I train.

    ReplyDelete