Monday, January 25, 2010

The Martial Arts Journey

Welcome to the Sorce Martial Arts blog! This blog will serve the same purpose as the "Message of the Week" block in the newsletter, but with more in-depth topics. We'd like this forum to be interactive, so we encourage you to post questions or comments often.

If you would like to see a post about a specific topic, send your idea to Mr. Bitzan here.

We're looking forward to your comments. Enjoy!

********** **********

We all know that it takes a great deal of patience and hard work to be successful in martial arts. For instance, it takes around five years to earn a black belt in Taekwon-do. For some, it may take a bit longer. Even for the most patient student, five years is a long time. Most students begin their martial arts education with the intent of sticking with it and earning a black belt, but some end up quitting short of their goals. Fortunately, you can keep your training fresh and exciting with the right state of mind, taking advanced classes and cross-training.

Do you want to wear a black belt or be a black belt?


Black belt is a good goal, but you should ask yourself a question: Do you want to wear a black belt or be a black belt? Anyone can buy a black belt from a catalog, but the value of the belt is measured by the person wearing it, not the belt alone. The way to being a black belt is patience and hard work. Students should reflect on this idea when they start feeling frustrated by long term goals. Remember, the journey is far more important than the destination. For a long time, this philosophy was all students had to motivate them. Times have changed for the better.

Most students notice a HUGE difference in their abilities between white and green belt. At white belt, you essentially know nothing about martial arts. You struggle during class just to keep up with the other students. It's new and exciting, and very challenging. By the time you earn your green belt, you learn faster and struggle less. You can execute most basic techniques effortlessly. While others will still see you improving, it won't be as apparent to you. This is a dangerous time in your journey. Twenty years ago (and still today at some schools), frustrated students would just give up. If you recognize that you are reaching this point in your training, it's time to present yourself with more challenges.

For youth students, this means Warrior classes. Ultimately, the standard curriculum is the core of your training and you need to know it in order to progress toward your black belt. Warrior classes are designed specifically to keep intermediate and advanced students engaged with more challenging concepts like Eskrima, Ju Jitsu, advanced kicking and weapons training. Keep in mind that not every youth student should attend these classes, only those who feel they can handle the challenge in addition to their traditional training.

Kids aren't the only students that can find themselves suffering from the "Blue Belt Blues." While adults are expected to be able to demonstrate a little more patience than children, they can get frustrated too. It's encouraged that all students train in a "core" art, but there is definite value in cross-training in complementary arts. Often, each art stands on its own individual merit AND proves effective when blended with your core art. Plus, cross-training can provide that additional challenge that intermediate and advanced adult students crave.

This isn't to say that training in one art or focusing on our traditional curriculum is necessarily a bad thing. Each art is complete. If you're unsure about what your path should be, seek out an instructor or senior student. Often, you can benefit from hearing about their journeys and experiences. What's most important is that you are satisfied with your level of training, that you benefit from your hard work, and that you find fulfillment along your journey.

2 comments:

  1. I agree one hundred percent. Recently I'd become slightly discouraged with one of the arts that I cross-train in. After a few weeks of the same re-occurring thoughts of possibly quitting, I talked with a highly respected senior student in that art who gave me a 'lecture' about how much I'd actually improved. Though I have not been cross-training for very long in this art, I did realize that there were things I was improving that I had failed to notice. To be honest, I was becoming discouraged because the information and techniques that were taught in that art simply weren't "sticking," but due to a recent decision to hold a testing in the near future, I realized that the techniques necessary for testing were ones I had in fact learned and greatly improved on. I never realized this fact simply because I was unable to see myself improve from the beginning of my training in that art to the skill level I have today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true....cross-training can make a huge difference in how well and how fast you progress in your core art. Cross-training really forces you to challenge your mind and body in different ways; which I feel helps you make the connections between different techniques easier to grasp (eg; how well you flow between techniques in your one-steps for TKD).

    For me it's about application and adaptation....I know when I go to seminars I can grasp the techniques fairly easy and implement them into my own defense strategies.

    Even though I cross-train, I feel at times I get bored with my core art, but Thanks to the wonderful instructors, I have found ways to challenge myself outside the Do Jang. This has helped keep my interests peaked and always provides benefits to me during class in some way, shape or form.

    The color of my belt doesn't define me...it's a reflection of my training and lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete